PAST CONTINUES TENSE
DEFINITION: It is used to express an action which was in the progress or going on in specific time in the past.
You must be knowing that tense is taken from other language which means time, period or age. so all the tense are used for specific time. The deference is identification by it function and formula.
- Positive Structure:
Subject + auxiliary verb + 1st verb (ing) + object
- She was cooking food yesterday.
- He was climbing on a hill.
- You were watching movie.
- I was teaching the students.
2. Negative Structure:
Subject + auxiliary verb + not + 1st verb (ing) + object
- She was not cooking food yesterday.
- He was not climbing on a hill.
- You were not watching movie.
- I was not teaching the students.
3. Interrogative Structure:
Auxiliary verb + Subject + 1st verb (ing) + object?
- Was she cooking food yesterday?
- Was he climbing on a hill?
- Were you watching movie?
- Was I teaching the student?
If the subject is singular (he, she, it, I) we use auxiliary verb “was”
If the subject is plural (we, you, they) we use auxiliary verb “were”
- They _____ laughing at the joker. (were, was)
- He ______________ exam last month. (was taking, were taking)
- You ______________ for him yesterday. (were waiting, was waiting)
- _______it ________ yesterday? (was, were) (raining, rainy)
- The students _______ learning English. (were, was, are)
- I ______ going to market at the morning. (was, were, am)
- _____she cooking food last night. (was, were, is)
- Ali and Ahmad _______playing with each other. (were, are, was)
- was taking
- were waiting
- was, raining
Don’t forget to study the following tenses: