Present Simple Tense
DEFINITION: It is used to express present action, habitual or daily activity or universal fact or possession and state.
For example a student says, “I go to school”. It is a daily activity of a student to go to school, so such actions are expressed by present simple tense. Another example is, “I work in a factory”. It tells about a usual action of a person that he works in a factory on regular basis.
Subject + 1st verb (s, es, ies) + object.
- I read my book.
- He gets up early in the morning.
- She writes a letter.
- Sun rises in east.
- He plays football.
- They wash the cloth.
- I study hard
- he goes to school
- she plays with dolls.
- Ankara drinks water early on the morning.
2. Interrogative Structure/ Formula:
Do/Does + Subject + 1st verb + Object.
- Do I read my book?
- Does he get up early in the morning?
- Does she write a letter?
- Does sun rise in east?
- Does he play football?
- Do they wash the cloth?
- Do I study hard?
- Does he go to school?
- Does she plays with doll?.
- Does Ankara drink water early on the morning?
3. Negative Structure/Formula:
Subject + do not/does not + 1st verb + object.
- I do not read a book.
- He does not get up early.
- She does not write a letter.
- Sun does not rise in east.
- He does not play football.
- They do not wash the cloth.
- I do not study hard.
- he does not go to school.
- she does not play with dolls.
- Ankara does not drink water early on the morning.
Practice these Exercises:
- Ali ______ historical books. ( reads, read)
- She always ________ T.V at the evening. ( watch, watches)
- He never ________ early. (comes, come)
- Ahmad ________like playing football. (do not, does not)
- They __________ the students. ( teach, teaches)
- I _________ to play football at the morning. (want, wants)
- You __________ like to learn English. (do not, does not)
- _________you walk at the morning? (do, does)